The Bi-County Parkway is intended to add additional transportation capacity to reduce congestion, enhance mobility and link communities by providing a new route between I-66 and Route 50. The new 10.4-mile highway will:
- Relocate existing Route 234 out of the heart of the Manassas National Battlefield Park, moving it 2.5 miles west
- Double Route 234’s traffic-carrying capacity to four lanes. During morning and evening commuting periods, the intersection at Routes 234/29 now forces motorists to wait through several traffic light sequences in order to pass.
- Provide capacity to handle the forecasted 91 percent growth in trips between Loudoun and Prince William counties
- Enhance safety by providing a limited access facility with safety shoulders. Facilities like the Bi-County Parkway have two-thirds lower crash rates than roads like U.S. 15 and other existing north-south routes in the vicinity.
- Feature a bike/pedestrian path
- Be extensively landscaped